Stewart crash investigation continues
12 August 2014 – The investigation into the death of an American racing driver after he was hit by the car of Tony Stewart at a dirt track race continues, but authorities say they have not found evidence of "criminal behaviour".
Kevin Ward Jr. lost his life at New York's Canandaigua Motorsports Park on Saturday after the 20-year-old, running towards Stewart's car to gesture following a clash between the pair on the previous lap, was struck.
Stewart's right-rear wheel collected Ward Jr., before he was dragged under the car and thrown to the side of the track. Although he was still wearing his helmet at the time, he died of a massive blunt trauma to the head.
Police are said to be studying how much of a role light and visibility played in the incident. The sprint car race took place under floodlights, while Ward Jr. was wearing a predominantly black race suit and helmet.
Ontario County Sheriff Phil Povero stated: "This is an open investigation. What I have said is not indicative that this investigation is over or that conclusions have been made. We are continuing to gather information."
He added: "We continue to be asked about criminal charges. No criminal charges have been placed against anyone, and there are no facts that this point that would support probable cause of any criminal behaviour."
Stewart has withdrawn from a sprint car race in Indiana that he had been due to take part in this weekend.