'Something very unusual happened' - Mosley on Piquet crash
15 September 2009 – FIA President Max Mosley admits that the crash of Nelson Piquet Jr. in last year's Singapore Grand Prix does appear to be suspect. The Renault team remains under investigation for the incident, which eventually helped team-mate Fernando Alonso to victory.
There is no doubt over the fact that Piquet's incident assisted Alonso's victory, as the Safety Car was deployed just a few minutes after the Spaniard's first pit-stop, although the FIA World Motor Sport Council (WMSC) will hear the team's official version of events on Monday 21 September.
The FIA President, who will move into retirement next month, also admits that gossip surrounding the incident reached the FIA some time ago. "Two or three months earlier I'd heard this allegation was floating around," he explained. "Of course, there was nothing one could do then because there was no evidence, it was all rumour and hearsay; so I knew the allegation existed but, yes, I was quite surprised they were actually prepared to come forward and make it.
"Nelson Piquet Sr. (father and Manager of Nelson Jr.) came to see me after the Hungarian Grand Prix in late July and said all this had happened, so I listened to him and said 'Well, if Nelson (Jr.) makes a sworn statement then obviously we'll investigate it.' The father arranged for that to happen. We then started to look at all the on-board data and all the recordings we've got of everything that happened in the car."