© 1998-2013 GPUpdate.net
GPUpdateManager F1 Game
Other Sports Tickets
Manchester United tickets
Anonymous, the online group made up of several worldwide hackers, successfully took down the official Formula 1 website on Friday night. The move came as a large protest took place on a motorway heading into the Bahraini capital city.
Although the official site is back up and running at the time of writing, F1.com was offline for a period this evening and replaced with the text ‘Formula None’, along with several paragraphs explaining why this weekend’s F1 event should not go ahead.
Also on Friday night, no team has reported any issues in returning to their hotels from the race track, although a demonstration is being staged on a motorway between Budaiya – to the west of Manama – and the capital itself. Many involved are fighting against the F1 event, which is organised and promoted by the leaders of Bahrain. At the same time, a survey claims that 77 percent of locals hope the race does happen.
Earlier today, Force India skipped the entire second practice session in a bid to return all team members to the city before nightfall; four of mechanics had been fortunate to avoid injury when a petrol bomb exploded close to their van on Wednesday. Last night, a group of 12 Sauber mechanics also encountered disruption.
“I think cancelling the race just empowers extremists,” Crown Prince Salman bin Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa said at the circuit on Friday. “For those of us trying to navigate a way out of this political problem, having this race allows us to build bridges across communities and get people working together. It allows us to celebrate our nation as an idea that is positive, not one that is divisive.”
Bernie Ecclestone, CEO of the Formula One Group, said the following:
“If people have got a complaint about something else, it’s nothing to do with F1.”
The next scheduled track action is Free Practice 3, which is set to begin at 11am local time (BST +2) on Saturday. This will be followed by F1 qualifying and a GP2 race.
Salman al Khalifa
DTM Tickets (best price guarantee!) at Sportstadium.com
|2012 Bahrain Formula 1 Grand Prix|
|26 Apr '12||Ricciardo not yet refreshed after disappointment|
|25 Apr '12||Di Resta hails Force India’s best performance|
|25 Apr '12||Interview with Force India’s Paul di Resta|
|23 Apr '12||No doubts about Grand Prix, says Bahrain boss|
|14 Jun||Pirelli did nothing wrong, says Ecclestone|
|13 Jun||New Jersey inks long-term F1 deal|
|16 May||Ecclestone welcomes Honda to Formula 1|
|15 May||'German prosecutors charge Ecclestone'|
|Salman al Khalifa|
|20 Apr '12||Hacker group ‘Anonymous’ takes down F1.com|
|20 Apr '12||Crown Prince: We will not cancel the race|
|20 Feb '12||Bahrain Grand Prix tickets now on sale|
|8 Mar '11||New deadline for Bahrain Grand Prix|
|20 Jun||The International Tribunal judging panel|
|20 Jun||Video of the Day: Inside a Formula 1 car, Ep. 4|