Huge fire breaks out in Williams garage
13 May 2012 – Celebrations of Pastor Maldonado’s victory have been affected by a fire in the Williams garage at the Circuit de Catalunya. Track officials are now attempting to evacuate the pit lane as emergency services rush into the Montmeló track.
The reason for the blaze is believed to be a KERS explosion and a Force India mechanic, helping to tackle it, has been taken to hospital.
Thankfully, the fire itself - a large flame which came up in the Williams garage - had been extinguished within approximately three minutes as members of television stations and other media outlets were moved to the opposite end of the paddock.
UPDATE: The Force India mechanic who was taken to hospital suffered smoke inhalation and is now in a good condition. One other mechanic has suffered from a broken wrist and several people have been treated okay the circuit medical centre.
GPUpdate TV video:
Fire breaks out in Barcelona paddock
Latest update on the Williams fire:
People treated for injuries