Schumacher still aiming to win from sixth
26 May 2012 – Earlier in the Monaco weekend, Michael Schumacher had told journalists that he would qualify fastest, start from sixth and win the race. So far, the German has successfully confirmed the opening part of his statement and now aims for victory on Sunday.
Having claimed his first pole position since returning to F1 with Mercedes at the start of 2010, the seven-time Champion drops back five places on Sunday due to his incident with Bruno Senna in the Spanish Grand Prix. After crossing the line, he was clearly emotional when radio communications were broadcast on the world television feed.
"I told you guys that I would get pole, start sixth and win – and that is still what I am aiming for. That is all I have in my mind and the past doesn’t matter.”
Describing the moment he knew he had sealed the top spot, Schumacher continued:
“I obviously saw the time on my dashboard, but as I was one of the early ones (to set a final time in Q3) I didn’t know what would happen behind. I saw the (trackside) monitors with a number one and then started to believe it…then I got the confirmation over the radio. It’s just beautiful because Monaco is so special and a bit more about the driver than other tracks.”
As Schumacher slips back to sixth, Mark Webber inherits a second Monaco pole – after 2010 – and will share the front row with the first Mercedes of Nico Rosberg.