Hülkenberg not carried away by Ferrari rumours
4 October 2012 – Between the Singapore and Japanese Grands Prix, the Formula 1 driver market has been turned on its head. Sergio Pérez heads to McLaren whereas Lewis Hamilton will be with Mercedes next year. Force India drivers Nico Hülkenberg and Paul di Resta, previously linked to the silver arrows, are now being lined up as Ferrari candidates.
With Pérez having been a Ferrari development driver, McLaren have pulled a coup by signing the 2010 GP2 runner-up. The Italian team now seems likely to either retain Felipe Massa or sign one of the current Force India drivers alongside Fernando Alonso.
“Obviously, as we all know, there’s been quite of a lot of movement over the last week,” Hülkenberg said when questioned by reporters at Suzuka on Thursday. “A lot can happen. Journalists like to put people into various seats but nothing is really certain…I’m just concentrating on my own job here and that’s all I can do for now.
“Nothing has been announced yet – we will just have to wait and see. There are still talks going on with this team (Force India) and there is a chance I will continue to race here, but I think things have happened with all of that movement which went on last week. I don’t follow the driver market situation every day but it was a bit of a surprise to hear what has happened; having said that, it does not affect me right now.”
Finally, the 25-year-old – who debuted with Williams in 2010 – did admit that he would be ready to progress up the grid, should he be presented with an opportunity.