Caterham denies reports of Friday driver announcement
8 November 2012 – Caterham has told GPUpdate.net that its Formula 1 team will be making no 2013 driver announcements on Friday, dispelling widespread claims in the press. The latest gossip is that Giedo van der Garde is on the verge of being signed.
The Leafield-based team is the subject in several cases of hearsay, not least that Team Principal Tony Fernandes will be stepping down from that position at the end of 2012. Any official confirmation is yet to be issued.
In terms of drivers, it emerged in the Dutch press last week that current reserve driver van der Garde will be signed alongside Charles Pic, who would be switching from Marussia. Reports in the Finnish media now claim that Caterham will announce on Friday that van der Garde (top) will be stepping up to the race line-up.
“We are not making any announcements tomorrow,” a team spokesperson told GPUpdate.net. “We will make announcements on our driver line-up in due course.”
When directly contacted by GPUpdate.net on Thursday morning, van der Garde chose not to comment on the matter. Currently racing for Caterham are Heikki Kovalainen, since the team’s inception in 2010, and Vitaly Petrov who joined this season.