Williams confirms Maldonado, Bottas
28 November 2012 – Pastor Maldonado and Valtteri Bottas have been confirmed at Williams for the 2013 Formula 1 season, ending widespread speculation over the team's future line-up. The decision leaves Bruno Senna fighting for a place on the grid.
Bottas, who joined the team as a reserve driver after claiming the 2011 GP3 title, says a Formula 1 seat has long been on his mind. Having taken part in a large number of Friday practice sessions this year, he feels ready for the next step.
"It has always been my life-long dream to compete in the Formula 1 World Championship," the 23-year-old Finn explained. "To do so with one of the most legendary teams in the sport is incredibly special. I’ve really enjoyed my three years with Williams so far and feel very at home here so my goal was always to stay for 2013 and progress to a race seat.
"I’m looking forward to getting my Formula 1 career started and enjoying a lot of success with Williams."
Maldonado was equally delighted with the news which sees him enter a third campaign with Williams. The Venezuelan, who claimed a memorable victory at the Spanish Grand Prix earlier this season, is eager for more success in 2013.
"I’m really enjoying my time with Williams and I was very happy when I was told that I would be continuing with the team in 2013," he said. "2012 was a memorable year for me with the win in Barcelona and we made a big step forward in terms of performance.
"I have a lot of confidence in the team and hopefully next year will see us move even further up the grid and taste more success."
The team also thanked Senna for his efforts throughout the 2012 campaign, with the Brazilian recording ten points finishes during his first complete year in the sport.