Government will not fund Turkish Grand Prix
6 December 2012 – Suat Kiliç, Turkey's Sports Minister, says the government will not fund a future Grand Prix in the country, explaining that the race must be backed privately. Following a one-year absence from the sport, Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone and businessman Vural Ak had agreed basic terms over a return to Istanbul Park.
Earlier on Thursday, TOFSED President Demir Berberoğlu said final approval and funding had to come from the government, but Kiliç has ruled out the possibility.
"If it wants to, the private sector can bring Formula 1," Kiliç was quoted as saying by local news agency Dogan. "But there is no question of us paying the cost of the rights which have been proposed to a private company to bring Formula 1."
If the Grand Prix does return in 2013, it will take place on the weekend of July 20-21.