Kubica: No chance of me coming back soon
11 December 2012 – Robert Kubica has ruled out an imminent return to Formula 1, explaining that he is still struggling with the rotation of his right elbow and wrist. The Pole, who suffered life-threatening injuries in a rally crash in early 2011, has been back on the motorsport scene recently, picking up a popular Rallye du Var victory last month.
The 28-year-old says he misses the feeling of lining up on the Formula 1 grid, but at the same time is pleased with how he has recovered from such a serious accident.
"Let's just say I miss racing," Kubica told AutoWeek. "This is my biggest problem. When I'm busy rallying or testing, I'm not thinking about it. But when I'm at home on a Sunday after a Formula 1 race, I think I'm living a boring and monotonous life.
"On the other hand, you cannot get everything you desire out of life. I'm happy about where I am today. I need to keep working, keep fighting. I'm getting better, but you need a lot of time to fully recover from something like this."
When pushed about a potential return to Formula 1 in the future, Kubica admitted that his arm will be the deciding factor.
"If I can move my arm again, there is a chance that I will return," he added. "But until that happens, we'll have to see. There's no chance of me coming back to F1 soon."
Kubica is currently negotiating with WRC teams over a possible drive in 2014, but has made it clear that he wants to sign a long-term deal to fully develop his skills.