Red Bull will not rush Webber replacement
27 June 2013 – Red Bull is in no rush to name the future team-mate of Sebastian Vettel, following the announcement that Mark Webber is to join the Porsche LMP1 programme in 2014.
With Webber bringing the curtain down on his 12-season Formula 1 career, Red Bull faces the task of choosing a new partner for triple World Champion Vettel, who recently extended his contract with the Milton Keynes-based outfit through 2016.
Earlier this week, Red Bull team boss Christian Horner explained that Lotus' Kimi Räikkönen "would have to be an option" for the now vacant seat, while Toro Rosso drivers Jean-Éric Vergne and Daniel Ricciardo are also in the running.
However, in a statement issued on Thursday that thanked Webber for his efforts at Red Bull, the team said a decision "will not be made until later in the season."
"I am sure Mark thought long and hard before making what has no doubt been a very difficult decision," said Horner. "His achievements in F1 are extensive and I am sure he will continue to push hard and build on that record until the end of the season.
"We support Mark’s decision, he has been an excellent addition to the team since joining us in 2007 and we wish him all the best in the next stage of his career."