Félix da Costa prepared for F1 chance
18 July 2013 – Echoing the sentiments of Formula Renault 3.5 rival Kevin Magnussen, António Félix da Costa says he is "as ready as I can be" to make the step up to Formula 1.
The Portuguese, 21, completed one and a half days behind the wheel of the Red Bull RB9 during this week's Young Driver Test at Silverstone, finishing second to Daniel Ricciardo on Thursday morning before handing over the cockpit to the Australian.
"I jumped out of the car after the last run today and I felt to myself, 'I'm ready, I want this'," said da Costa. "But it will all come down to the rest of my [Formula Renault 3.5] season. We have to deserve a place in Formula 1, and I want to deserve it properly.
"The timing is good and I am in a good position, so I need to do my job properly. But I believe we can do it. By having a few days such as these, I feel like I am as ready as I can be. The only time you realise how hard it is, is when you actually do a race."
Having driven at last year's rookie test for Red Bull, in addition to numerous show outings, Félix da Costa reckons he is growing in the best possible environment.
"To drive the car for half of the three days is a great chance," he commented. "It is a good sign that I am trusted by the team to carry out the work; that is really good for me. To be working with a World Champion team is the best you can have. I am learning with the best and working with the best. For me as a driver I am only gaining."