Todt confirms he will seek re-election
7 September 2013 – Jean Todt has confirmed that he will stand for re-election as FIA President this year.
With David Ward last month officially coming forward as a candidate for the chief post of motor racing's governing body, Todt had yet to reveal if he was to bid for a second term, having stated during his initial election manifesto that he would not do so.
But at Monza on Saturday, Todt said there is no doubt he will take part in the process.
"There is no speculation: I will go for it," Todt told reporters at the Italian Grand Prix. "Yesterday it was announced that campaigning for election was opening. All our community knows and I have a lot of support, and we have started something."
Directly referring to his rival Ward, who published his agenda earlier this week, Todt said: "In life you must respect freedom of everyone. So I really do respect him."
Ahead of this weekend's Italian Grand Prix, team chiefs spoke positively about Todt's first tenure, with consistency being mentioned as a key consideration for the sport.
"Obviously I know Jean very well, having worked together for 10 years," said Mercedes team boss Ross Brawn. "I think stability and consistency are very important. I think Jean has taken a quiet line, particularly in terms of Formula 1, and that is welcome."
"I think that in Formula 1 it’s important to proceed with stability and continuity – it’s one of the things that we are always missing," explained Ferrari's Stefano Domenicali. "I believe that what is important to keep as a relation with the FIA is this kind of thing, and so I would like to see this happening. But it is not us that will decide that."
McLaren's Martin Whitmarsh added of the developing situation: "I think Jean has done a good job so far, and we’ll see if he’s successful at continuing to be the President."
Candidates for the position must submit their applications in full between the dates of October 23 and November 13, with the election itself taking place on December 6.