FIA to review Korea fire truck incident
7 October 2013 – Governing body the FIA is set to study the events which unfolded in the wake of Mark Webber's fiery retirement during the closing stages of Sunday's Korean Grand Prix.
The incident was kickstarted when Force India driver Adrian Sutil collided with Webber at Turn 3, sending the Australian, whose car caught fire, out of the race. This led to the deployment of the Safety Car, while the marshals attempted to extinguish the flames.
Although the FIA has admitted that race director Charlie Whiting then requested for a response vehicle to be scrambled, with marshals struggling to cope, it said it did not expect the vehicle to enter the circuit before the Safety Car had control of the situation.
This led to a state of confusion on the track, with race leader Sebastian Vettel the first to come across the truck. Speaking after the race, he explained: "It wasn't quite clear that it was the Safety Car, but then the Safety Car board was flashing and I lifted and saw there was another car on the track. I took it quite easy to make sure I got past."
He added: "I didn't know what the incident was until I saw the smoke and so on."
Red Bull team boss Christian Horner said it was lucky that the fire truck was deployed in a visible area of the track, given the high speeds at which the drivers were travelling.
"It wasn't great, but thankfully it happened where there was plenty of time for the drivers to react," he said. "Sebastian was the first to come across it, but with the straight being so long he had enough pre-warning to know that he was there.
"But if it [the fire truck] had been unsighted it would have been a bit more dramatic."
The FIA will now await a report from Yeongam race organisers before completing a full investigation and deciding what, if any, procedures need to be tightened up.