McLaren, Force India to sit out Bahrain tyre test
11 December 2013 – McLaren and Force India will not take part in the Pirelli tyre test at the Bahrain International Circuit next week.
“We’re not testing in Bahrain next week,” a McLaren spokesman told GPUpdate.net. “We took part in a Pirelli tyre test in Italy last month.
“Our focus now is on our 2014 car development.”
Force India meanwhile have said they will not test as confirmation came too late: “Given the short notice of this test taking place and the timeframes involved, the team will not be attending the test,” a spokesperson for the Silverstone-based outfit told Sky Sports F1.
Last week, Pirelli informed GPUpdate.net of its plans to carry out development work at the Sakhir venue from December 17-19, and the Formula 1 Commission then agreed to make this possible by temporarily easing the current testing restrictions – something that was only announced on Monday.
All eleven teams were invited to the private three-day test, although only six accepted and now two of these have fallen by the wayside.
It remains to be seen if any of the other four - Red Bull Racing, Mercedes, Ferrari and Toro Rosso - will also opt not to go.
GPUpdate.net is currently waiting for responses from all four of those teams - along with news of which drivers will be in action, assuming they do run.