Sutil to join Sauber for 2014 season
13 December 2013 – Adrian Sutil will join Sauber for the 2014 Formula 1 campaign, the Hinwil-based outfit confirmed on Friday afternoon. The German makes the switch after Force India opted against renewing his contract.
Having spent 2012 on the sidelines, Sutil returned to the sport with the aforementioned Force India this year, racing alongside Paul di Resta. But the Silverstone-based outfit has adopted a fresh approach for the upcoming season, with former Sauber driver Nico Hülkenberg and ex-McLaren man Sergio Pérez replacing the pair.
Although di Resta's Formula 1 future remains uncertain as the end of the year approaches, Sutil has been able to put pen to paper with the Sauber team, meaning he will be present in the top echelon for a seventh term.
"Although I have known for a while where I wanted to go, in the end the negotiations took a bit longer than planned," said Sutil. "However, now I will have all the more reason to celebrate during the Christmas season.
"I've been in contact with [Sauber team boss] Monisha [Kaltenborn] for a while and she always gave me the feeling my qualities are valued. After six good years driving for Force India, with a lot of highlights, it's now time to embark on a new challenge. I am determined to do my part in order to have a successful future with Sauber.
"The [team's] long and successful tradition in motorsport, combined with an impressive factory and one of the best wind tunnels in Formula 1, have been fascinating me for a long time."
Kaltenborn added her satisfaction at securing the services of Sutil, revealing that the 30-year-old made a visit to Sauber's headquarters earlier this year with a view to completing a future move.
"We are pleased that we were able to sign Adrian, particularly as we have been wanting to work together with him for a while," said Kaltenborn.
"Adrian had already visited the factory at the end of September to have a look at the infrastructure. He is not only very fast, but also brings a lot of experience, which is very important looking at the new regulations for next year.
"We welcome Adrian to the team and look forward to a successful collaboration."
Sauber is yet to confirm who will occupy its second seat, one of only four vacancies on the 2014 grid.