Wolff doubts Friday changes are right thing
18 June 2014 – Mercedes boss Toto Wolff has said Formula 1 should stick with its current weekend format and not drop one of the Friday practice sessions in the wake of the negative reaction to the proposal.
The plans came to light earlier this month ahead of the Canadian Grand Prix and are being put forward as a way to help reduce costs. Wolff, however, thinks that they might now have to be re-considered.
"Very ambivalent," he told Sky Sports F1 when quizzed about it, "because it's quite tricky to discuss where you can save money. The discussion came to the Friday and why don't we come one day later, why don't we skip free practice one?
"In very few locations you have spectators and we could do a day of media, a day for the promoters, on the Friday and therefore oblige the drivers to do more work on the Friday.
"So the idea came up, let's not do the Friday and save engine and gearbox miles – it's about one engine a year, 3,000km on average – and that is, if not millions, it's at least a million or a million and a half.
"The decision wasn't really made until now, we need to discuss it in the Commission as well. It's one minor detail of things which were discussed and lots of people are saying 'this is not the right thing to do'.
"I think we just need to open up the ears and listen and if this is not the right thing to do then let's stay with the format like we have now."
Pressed on if it is a good idea, Wolff added: "Honestly myself I doubt whether it's the right thing because Formula 1 is the pinnacle of motorsport, this is not a weekend entertainment which starts Saturday morning, it is a proper sport..."