Sirotkin brushes aside de Silvestro role
26 June 2014 – Sauber test driver Sergey Sirotkin does not see Simona de Silvestro as a genuine threat to his chances of securing a Formula 1 seat with the team in the future, describing her signing as a marketing ploy.
De Silvestro, an affiliated driver, conducted her second track test with the team in Valencia earlier this week, but Sirotkin, who joined the outfit late last year, says he is not afraid of losing out to the former IndyCar racer.
"At Sauber there is a third driver, Giedo van der Garde, a test driver, myself, and a sponsored driver, the person they are helping to reach the level of Formula 1," 18-year-old Sirotkin explained to F1News.ru.
"But I think that is a marketing move, so I do not take it as something to be afraid of. Let's see what happens."
Sirotkin is currently focused on his second full term in the Formula Renault 3.5 series, but remains hopeful of securing a Friday practice outing later in the campaign, potentially at the inaugural Russian Grand Prix.
"It is an open question," said Sirotkin, who sits 12th in the FR3.5 standings with one podium finish. "In terms of marketing, public interest and so on it is logical to do it in Sochi, but we cannot say if it this will happen yet."