Sutil shrugs off replacement rumours
24 July 2014 – Adrian Sutil has shunned rumours that Sauber is looking to replace him before the end of the season.
It was suggested ahead of the German Grand Prix that the Swiss team could drop Sutil for a driver with more financial support, with reserve Giedo van der Garde's recent practice outings increasing the speculation.
But Sutil was quick to quash the rumours when quizzed about the matter at the Hungaroring on Thursday.
"I think for half of my career they have said 'Adrian is out' but I'm still here and at my 120th Grand Prix," Sutil commented. "Any more questions? I'll be here a lot longer. Sorry but you'll have to live with my face!
"You can always ask me and I will give you the right answer. This is from someone out there who is bored or whatever. I don't know their problems, but we are good as a team and trying to get out of this difficult situation."
Van der Garde told GPUpdate.net at Hockenheim that he was clueless as to where the rumours came from.
"I have no idea," the former Caterham racer explained. "I am only focused on Friday mornings. There are a few more sessions to go. I'm happy where I am and I think the team is happy with what I've been doing so far.
"If they have an injury, they are sick or break a leg, I'm there to jump in. But I'm just focusing on Fridays."