Three schedule plans in place at Motegi
25 October 2013 – Three schedule plans have been put in place for the rest of the Japanese Grand Prix weekend at Motegi, after the opening day of action was cancelled due to thick fog.
With the medical helicopter unable to fly due to the relentless mist, race organisers were left with little option but to halt Friday's running and, during a press conference later in the afternoon, Race Director Mike Webb said three options are now available.
"The weather forecast for Saturday is brighter, but if the helicopter still cannot fly by tomorrow afternoon then it will be dismantled and shipped to the circuit by road and reassembled for Sunday," said Webb. "The problem is not the rain, it is the visibility."
Plan A: "If we are able to run tomorrow morning, we will run free practice for as long as possible and move on to a normal qualifying schedule and Sunday schedule."
Plan B: "If we are not able to run tomorrow morning, Saturday afternoon will be deemed free practice and will be run as long as possible. Then a heavily revised schedule for Sunday – involving practice, qualifying and the race – will be run."
Plan C: "If it is not possible to practice at all tomorrow, we are still expecting Sunday's weather to be significantly better and we have a provisional, heavily revised schedule, that includes practice, qualifying and the race on Sunday. We are committed to running the Japanese Grand Prix and are doing everything we can to make it happen."