Silverstone hopeful of 2015 MotoGP round
14 August 2014 – Silverstone Managing Director Richard Phillips says that the circuit is keen to stage the British round of the MotoGP season in 2015, despite confirmation that the race will move away from the track in the long term.
It was announced on Wednesday that the Circuit of Wales, situated in Ebbw Vale, has signed a five-year deal to bring MotoGP to the track from 2015, although with construction of the facility not yet underway, next year's round is likely to take place at a different circuit.
Phillips cited Dorna's race fee as the key reason for Silverstone not extending its MotoGP contract beyond 2014, but he insists that the track can host a round next year as the Circuit of Wales prepares for its 2016 debut, a date which Phillips believes is optimistic.
"We have expressed our desire to keep MotoGP at Silverstone, but the event is not sustainable at the fee level Dorna was proposing," he said. "Any future deal had to make economic sense and sadly we reached an impasse. The Circuit of Wales obviously believes it can make the finances work."
"Should the Circuit of Wales project be successful, it is unlikely that it will be ready before 2017. A venue for 2015 needs to be agreed as soon as possible to avoid having a negative impact on the success of next year's British Grand Prix.
"Silverstone remains the ideal venue to stage MotoGP; last year's record crowds are testament to the excellent British Grand Prix experience provided by Silverstone."
MotoGP has raced at Silverstone since the 2010 season; this year's round takes place from 29-31 August.