Félix da Costa focused on FR3.5 run-in
19 September 2013 – Red Bull junior driver António Félix da Costa says he is fully focused on the climax to his Formula Renault 3.5 campaign, the Portuguese refusing to get caught up in the widespread rumours linking him to the vacant seat at Toro Rosso next season.
Amid various technical troubles, Félix da Costa has fallen away from the head of this year's title battle, but he made a statement at the latest Hungaroring round by taking victory ahead of leaders Kevin Magnussen and Stoffel Vandoorne in Sunday's race.
And although it appears that further positive results are all that stand between the 22-year-old and a Formula 1 drive, he insists his mind is not yet on the top echelon.
"I am focused on Formula Renault 3.5 and making the best of the last four races," Félix da Costa told GPUpdate.net. "I am a Red Bull junior driver so I must be focused on my job in the World Series. We have had some difficult times this year but we have also shown that when we don't have problems we are here to fight for race wins."
Félix da Costa went on to explain that he was pleased to see Daniel Ricciardo, who also competed in Formula Renault 3.5, gain promotion to the senior Red Bull team.
"It´s good to see Ricciardo stepping up to Red Bull," Félix da Costa commented. "The Red Bull Junior Team is all about that and the best ones will one day step up to the main team. He did a good job, he deserved the step up and I am happy for him."
Expanding upon his hopes for the final four races at Paul Ricard and Barcelona, of which he won three last season, Félix da Costa said: "Every year is a different year but obviously if we won last year it is because we had a good car for Paul Ricard and Barcelona. We are confident we can fight for race wins on the last two meetings."
The Arden Caterham driver sits third in the championship standings ahead of the final two rounds, 43 points behind Vandoorne and a further 36 adrift of leader Magnussen.