Sainz Jr: We will keep pushing hard
14 April 2014 – Carlos Sainz Jr has vowed that he and DAMS will continue to push hard after emerging from the opening round of the Formula Renault 3.5 Series at Monza in the joint lead of the championship.
Sainz Jr took pole position for both races but his progress was scuppered prior to the opening event after his DAMS car became stuck in second gear. He bounced back by storming to victory in the second race and insists that he and the team – which carried Kevin Magnussen to last year's crown – will continue to give their all.
"You don't often have weekends like that and it is important to enjoy them just as it is important to know that it is no time to relax, it is a time to keep pushing," he said.
"We got pole for race one but then as I drove round to to the grid the car was stuck in second gear and I already pretty much knew that I wasn't going to be starting the race. The guys tried to fix it but there was no way. They got us going eventually and it was worth going out as I got the fastest lap but of course it was still a huge disappointment."
"Turning around from that into another pole on Sunday morning felt fantastic though. Then to go out and win race two at Monza really was the best thing that can happen."
Sainz Jr believes that it will be difficult repeat his Monza performance – in which he was fastest in every track session bar the first race – but remains confident of a title tilt.
"I can tell you though that it will be very very hard to have another weekend like this but of course we are looking forward to the races at Motorland [Aragon]," he said. "We were confident after the pre-season testing but you never know quite what to expect, you can never know what the opposition can do and we certainly didn't expect to come to Monza and be P1 in every session."