Pérez '100 per cent sure' of Mexico return
24 July 2014 – Sergio Pérez says he has no doubts over Mexico's planned return to the Formula 1 calendar.
At a special press conference in Mexico City on Wednesday, organisers behind a new effort confirmed that the country will be making a comeback in 2015 to end a 23-year absence from the top echelon of motor racing.
The event was previously pencilled in on the 2014 calendar, only to be dropped from the final roster, but Force India driver Pérez is certain that a return to the Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez will this time become a reality.
"100 per cent sure. No doubt about it," said Pérez during Thursday's press conference at the Hungaroring.
"Last year was difficult due to the time. Now there's no doubt. Already they're starting to work on the circuit."
Pérez says he is expecting the Formula 1 fraternity to be surprised by Mexico's passion for the sport.
"They've been really pushing for so many years," Pérez went on to explain. "The spirit of fans in Mexico is massive, so it's great for my country. You will all be surprised by the event. I'm very proud and excited."
Sauber's Esteban Gutiérrez echoed Pérez's thoughts, describing it as a "dream come true" for Mexicans.
"It's a great step to have a Grand Prix," he said. "I had a chance to race once in Mexico back in 2008, when we did the [Formula BMW] World Final. It was a great experience. Now we will really share the sport with our fans."