'Haryanto will not return to F1 in 2017'
3 January 2017 – Rio Haryanto will not return to the Formula 1 grid in 2017, his mother has stated.
Haryanto made his Formula 1 debut with Manor last year, racing alongside Pascal Wehrlein, but the Indonesian was replaced by Esteban Ocon midway through the campaign, due to a lack of funds.
Haryanto accepted an offer to stay on as Manor's reserve driver for the remainder of the season, and said towards the end of the year that he had a "50/50" chance of returning to the grid.
However, Haryanto's long-time sponsor, Pertamina, was reportedly against a return to Manor, while Sauber is poised to sign Pascal Wehrlein, with Valtteri Bottas taking the works Mercedes seat.
Pertamina also announced on Tuesday that it had ended its backing of Haryanto.
"Rio will not race in Formula 1 this year; the deadline set by Sauber has passed," Haryanto's mother, Indah Pennywati, explained to Philippines-based Rappler, as she addressed his future.
She added that Haryanto will instead work with his father, who owns stationery brand KIKY.
"We were of course very sorry when we heard the news that Rio could no longer compete in Formula 1," added Gatot S. Dewa Broto, spokesman for the Youth and Sports Ministry for Indonesia.
"We hope that Rio's career does not stop just because of a matter of funds."
Haryanto's manager, though, has suggested that there is still hope for 2017.
"We are still working on a plan to keep Rio in Formula 1; people in the Formula 1 world felt he did a good job and that he deserves to be there," Piers Hunnisett told news agency Reuters.
"We were hoping to move to a team like Sauber, but things are going to slow down a little bit."